Today we released episode 14 of the GrailCast, featuring Paola Zeni, Chief Privacy Officer at RingCentral.
In the most recent episode, Paola shared advice and tips for privacy professionals and leaders at modern businesses including:
- How privacy organizations have evolved in a changing environment
- How accelerated digital change impacts privacy teams
- Advice for executives seeking to staff privacy teams
Paola Zeni is the Chief Privacy Officer at RingCentral. She is an international privacy attorney with more than 20 years of privacy experience and a veteran of the cybersecurity industry, having worked at Symantec and more recently at Palo Alto Networks, where she built the privacy programs from the ground up. Her team’s mission is to build privacy into every product and process that touches personal information. Paola is member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and a member of the Board of the Association of Corporate Counsels, San Francisco and Bay Area Chapter. She has practiced in Italy and is a member of the California Bar.
In the past decade, there have been a number of key events that have shifted privacy focus and created the age of privacy including:
- announcement and implementation of the GDPR
- the invalidation of Safe Harbor laws
- the introduction of the CCPA
These events have led to an evolution in the industry and have pushed privacy leaders and officers to be an advocate for the product and the importance of privacy features.
Spurred by a rise in privacy, executives have been challenged to increase the focus on privacy and build out teams that can help improve privacy practices. Privacy staff have a number of benefits to the team and product at a company including:
- mitigating privacy-related risk
- improving privacy for users within the product and services
- managing privacy requests and ever changing legal requirements
- ensuring compliance with laws and regulations that apply
- establish best privacy practices
Paola also shared many other pieces of advice and tips for privacy professionals in the full episode.
Where to find us
And don’t hesitate to send or tweet us feedback about the show, including what you want to hear! Find us on Twitter @DataGrail.
What is the GrailCast?
With the privacy landscape evolving faster than ever, GrailCast lets you hear directly from privacy leaders on emerging trends, risks, and opportunities in 15 minute, coffee break-sized conversations. New episodes released every 2-4 weeks!